Summary

'All the world's a stage'- and all of my shows are comedies. Welcome to my Wacky World, which is a collection of the mad, funny and sometimes slightly unbelievable things that happen to me.

Friday 21 December 2012

In Which I Win Christmas in a Box

Message from me to my friend and ex-colleague Celyn, today at 2:33pm:

'I won something in the office Christmas raffle a little while ago. Out of the nearly forty prizes there were to be won between hundreds of employees, it’s just like me, being Jewish, to win the Christmas tree.

I'm totally putting it in my bedroom. =D x'

I never win anything. Ever. The last time I won a raffle I was in primary school, and I won a pencil case- I wasn't even there to experience winning because I was off sick, so my best friend came over later in the afternoon to drop it off having collected it for me. So when I bought a bunch of tickets for the office raffle today, I thought I'd just have some fun whilst donating to Save The Children in the process, not expecting to win anything.

Imagine, to my surprise, one of my numbers being called for the penultimate prize (by which time I'd totally switched off and was now chatting to a couple of colleagues, so I nearly missed going up to get it).

There were two prizes left to choose from: one was a big box of colourful stationary, wrapping paper, ribbons and a load of chocolate (very temping), the other an equally large box- a sealed box- a mystery box. Of course, I chose the mystery box. I hefted it over my shoulder, the box being almost shoulder-height to me, and lugged it back to my desk. A few colleagues gathered eagerly to see what I had won, and I hastily slashed at the cellotape that sealed the secrets contained within the magical box.

Hidden in the box was a big box of Thortons chocolates and a small bottle of sparkling wine with 23 carat gold flakes, but best of all, it contained a small Christmas tree, complete with self-powered fairy lights, a box of baubles and a  double CD collection full of wonderfully naff Christmas music. It was like a portable emergency instant Christmas kit- or as Celyn quite perfectly put it when I emailed her in excitement, '...it’s like a compact Christmas in a box and you won it!'

Now if you know me you'll know that I come from a Jewish family (as well as Christian Chinese one on the other side- which probably explains my colourful outlook on life), and also you'll know how luck tends to laugh at me in various ways. In this case I had the last laugh: my very first Christmas tree, with decorations and everything! I gleefully set it up in my room as soon as I got home, but it's now living on the kitchen table after my (quite bemused) dad said he didn't mind it being downstairs. If only Hanukkah didn't end a few days beforehand- it would have looked awesome right next to the menorah.


Season's greetings, from whichever culture or creed you come from!

Check out my cake blog for the finished tree with gingerbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment